How we live our yoga

10:10 AM Edit This 1 Comment »

I just finished reading the book "How We Live Our Yoga" today. My favorite essay was written by Jeff Martens. He tells the story of a farmer who digs for a well, starting with a new hole each day instead of sticking with the same hole, which is meant to be a metaphor for the importance of seekers sticking with one spiritual path if they are to go deep within it. The author, like me, prefers to find inspiration from a variety of sources, instead of sticking with one religion, and so had a difficult time with this story. But he found a positive way to interpret this. He writes, "I was the farmer digging the well. But rather than many different holes, each teacher or spiritual path I had experienced represented a different digging tool rather than a different hole. This practice allowed me to dig deeper and deeper, concentrating on one hole all along......My surrender and devotion was to the path of vivekakhyati, true discernment, rather than to one particular guru or teaching."

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your blog Heather... It's warming to see that insightful mind of yours at work. It's also good to see your happiness... I have been focusing on many of the same things you have. The world is your chance to create... and you do it so well!!! I believe, creating things is spiritual, because we are the way the universe sees itself. I am brimming with happiness that you have continued as you have. When I found this blog, that familiarity really made me smile. Hope your New Year is rewarding, full of love, and filled with creative endeavors!!!

Truly,
-Rich